Monday, April 7, 2008

Umstead 100 mile endurance run --pre-race




I flew down on a rainy Thursday night (Trip had to work Friday and Monday so couldn't go but for this race, had so many friends and supporters that didn't mind going alone) and took a shuttle to the host hotel, and had no car --but I didn't need to worry about that as the Hampton Inn was full of Umstead runners. I befriended a couple from Hawaii, Patricia and Mike (she finished but he dropped at mile 87!!! with stomach issues) who drove me over the race headquarters at Umstead State Park -we got our numbers and came back to the hotel -we got a glimpse of the course.
Patricia and Mike presented the race director with a polished sea-bean necklace from hawaii!
Then, we went back to the pre race briefing and dinner ---what fun to see everyone and meet new people. Frank and his wife came (he was staying with his in-laws) , Meredith and Eddie, Barbara and Greg, and many others --I had a big piece of birthday cake (it was the head-of-volunteer's b-day), and ate dinner with adamas and Roger. Early to bed --9 p.m. and thankfully I was so tired from not exercising for 2 days that I fell right asleep. I didn't have a car so didn't get to the Ralieh art museum or winery:( --nex ttime...

2 comments:

TonyP said...

Congrats on a wonderful first 100-miler. You were fantastic out there.

A Plain Observer said...

you missed a trip to a winery???