Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lake Waramug Ultras -50K- April 20. 2008














what a stark contrast the low key and quiet Lake Waramug Ultras are to the Boston Marathon! As I look at Frank's photos of the trials I can't help but wish to be part of Boston -next year. This year, a walk/run around lake waramug would have to do!! Just didn' t want to risk paying for a major marathon when didn't know how I would feel --so planned to run a few laps of this 50K course around the lake and see how I felt. Fortunately my and Frank's friend Rob was feeling tired so we walk/ran the whole thing i 5:42 -I under-estimated how tired I was from the 100 so this was a good pace!! and also running were 5 others who had done Umstead, including Ray Krolowitz who was doing the 100K!!! and Andy Cable from Monroe, CT. But some crazy runner is doing both the 100K today and Boston tommorrow -Joe Laskey from CT --we ran with him and another Joe (Shutz) for a mile -he is driving up to Boston tomm -ouch-all training for the 100 mile grand slam.
My friends Kate and Jill and their boyfriends manned an aid station so it was reason to stop and socialize every time we went around --Rob didn't even yell at me for stopping at aid stations. -he kept saying, 'I am getting into this walking'..we saw Nate and Sarah from kickrunners, and crxcross (?) who came in second in the 50K after the Bear mtn 50K!!
The more talked to people the more realized that I was not the only crazy person out around the lake.
Interestingly enough, I felt pretty good but my quads are aching now which tells me I am far from recovered and will have to go very easy for Sybil.
Also saw Ellen McCurtin who is running Sybil!
We had to run 3 laps around the big lake and 2 out and backs --I was far from last (I thought we were) but at least 10 50K people finished behind me...and the 100K runners were circling the lake as I left. and all the aid station volunteers at mile 3 were drinking beer (see photo of them wearing Stone Cat jackets).
It was perfect weather --overcast and 60 ---the sun peeked in and out.
Tommorrow should be perfect for Boston -I will be following Frank , Beth and Karen online in between meetings and soccer practices.

3 comments:

TonyP said...

Amazing how you just keep going and going and going. Love the pictures - looks like a blast.

A Plain Observer said...

maybe one day....
I did my 20 miler today, still training even if undecided on the marathon. It felt so good that...maybe...
Will do a 50K soon if you get me an easy one (what's easy about 50K????)

CTmarathoner said...

Anthony -see you Sat! Sybil may be another walk/run. Myriam, if you can do 20 miles of running, you can do a 50K --it would be easy for you, as you walk alot and conserve energy --2 women from Ohio yesterday ran their first 50Ks as they are doing the 50 states and picked this race for CT...these woman are not half as experienced as you, and they did just fine. I'm not saying that you will love it, but you never know til you try.