Tuesday, September 23, 2008

photos from fall frolic 30K -9/21/08







I don't know what got into Rob but suddenly he wanted to volunteer at the Fall Frolic 30K -a new beachside loop course in Stratford--he needed a rest day from the 6 hour, and so Frank and I decided to go up with him. Here are a few photos but for better race photos, check Frank's blog!!! (scroll down to sept 21, past the hanging man).. We ended up having fun, helping out, and each ran a loop of the course. Congrats to Kate, Dawn and Don for great races in the 30K! We got to the Stratford beach at 7:20, 10 min. before the start and Marty said that he needed help at the water station in front of his house. We helped Sherry (who left to go take photos on course)and Marty's father set up -Rob mixed up Gatorade and Frank poured water. Soon the first wave of runners passed by --perfect weather and in fact so chilly that I had to sit in my car or go in Marty's house!!
I did visit the 'cat lady' across the street during a lull. After the second wave of runners (passing thru loop 2), Frank and I ran one loop. We then came back, and Rob and I ran another loop --we started out with Don, who was on mile 13. Kate caught up with us and she and Rob pulled ahead --I was tired but my only goal was just to get in another 6.2 to make it 50 miles for the weekend --Frank helped clean up and got a ride back to the start --then Rob and I jogged back to Marty's house and drove to the beach. After socializing, we treated ourselves to coffee on the way home. The new 30K is a beautiful course --Jimand Marty hoping to keep this new venue for the fall...

6 comments:

Meredith murphy said...

Where's the Ritas?? I see the cups, but no water ice!

DawnB said...

Thanks again Emmy for helping out. you got some really great pictures too. I link to my blog thank you

Anonymous said...

What got into me...guess handing out water might be my new hobby if this !@#$ foot doesn't heal.

Nice pics, this Stratford place looks like heaven...

CTmarathoner said...

I never used to want to volunteer (as did so much through the schools)but now I like volunteering at running races -it is just as fulfilling as running the darn race. So Rob, I do hope you still volunteer w/me but only to take a break on an otherwise healthy foot....it's a bummer.

A Plain Observer said...

OMG, the first 3 pictures look like postcards!!! what a beautiful place!!!
I know that the pain of running feels the same no matter where you are but from the couch outside observers, this is heaven!

Runner Tammy said...

Wow, what a beautiful course. And I know you, Rob and Frank have such a good time together.

So, I observed that you visited the cat-lady across the street but posted no pictures of the cats. Did you get any pictures or was the cat-lady nickname based on rumor (I think Tristan and I almost qualify as the cat-family but luckily we have each other and the dog to minimize the likelihood of this label sticking:-)