Saturday, July 12, 2008

dso concert at Governor's island -July 11




I decided to go to this concert (as was invited by running friends) the night after driving into Radio City music hall with Christine so it was 2 late nights in a row!! But more than worth it, even if I did miss the Norwalk summer series this a.m. (let me just say that I shouldn't have raced it anyway --I just missed seeing our friends, and maybe helping Don out). This Friday night concert was a special outdoor concert on Governor's Island, at the very tip of manhattan. It was a perfect night to take a ferry ride over to the island and chill out and relax and listen to some Grateful dead music The distressing part of the concert was driving in -the FDR was bumper-to-bumper with traffic heading over the Queensboro bridge to LI...then free and clear sailing and got a parking spot right near the ferry --it was so much fun going over, with tye-dyed concert-goers -young and old alike!! Plenty of kids and 20-some kids --most of the males wearing tye dye!!! And, we got to see all the waterfall sculptures. We got to the concert area and Green tea leaf was playing -I had a beer and read and talked to Paul, an ardent dso fan ---the band came n at 7:30 and was awesome, but the set not as good as Westbury (last may 29)--ramble on rose, playin in the band, estimated prophet were some of the really good ones --about 10:15, during a long drum solo, it was time to take the ferry back!!! No traffic coming home-and thank goodness I had that nice parking spot:) The ferry ride view of the lighted bridges and buildings was phenomenal.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Cool. Outdoor summer concerts rock...

Runner Tammy said...

Outdoor concerts are so nice (particularly when the weather is good).

I hope you are going to catch up on your sleep later this week, I believe you have only 6 days til Vermont 100!

Good luck,
Tammy (fellow Usmtead and VT100-er)

A Plain Observer said...

Cool. Sorry you missed Donna Summer though! It was awesome!!! Gotta come to Bethel Woods soon.

CTmarathoner said...

thanks Scott!
Tammy --I am so excited you are doing VT -rest up this week
Myriam -hope you had fun at Donna Summer --I know I missed a good concert.