Wednesday, July 22, 2009

more thoughts on VT 100/race report

For the week leading up to VT, I wasn't even sure that I would make it past 20 miles,
as my foot had been hurting --I believe that I bruised it in the New canaan mile (beware when doing something different) and then went on to NOT listen to my body by running a high mileage week-90 miles
leading up to July 5...then I was careful,but during the Norwalk summer series 7 miler, it was
just hurting with ever last week -ice, rest, and drugs (went to see Dr.)I did cheat
and walk/run 5 miles on wed a.m. and swam a mile on thursday. On Friday, fellow Greenwich resident and VT 100 entrant Hugo picked me up and off we went to Silver Hill meadow--so much fun riding up with him, as I got
to hear about western states crewing),Miwok, and Boston..and got to read my book.
We made a couple of stops and got to registration @3:30--frm then on it was a social time, catching up with friends- imagine my surprise when i saw Yuki Nishide, ready to run her first 100 (she is Frank's and my friend and
an awesome runner, so know she would do well). And the biggest surprise of all -Nick wanted to pace me! Nik is experienced as they get, and he would be volunteering at camp 10 bear during the day, an so wold be ready whenever i was. So we hooked up my current pacer Hannah with Bob G., who sadly dropped out with stomach and foot issues (but he was Ok with that!).. We put our drop backs out, got weighed and got our blood pressure taken, and then stood in line for dinner which went past the dessert line so ended up eating dessert first).
Sat with Lydia, Bob and Admas... Hugo drove me back to the lovely Yankee village motel
where I attempted to sleep -plus, it was raining all night, an there was a party next door so didn't sleep that well..maybe 3 hours? The runners next door agreed to knock on my door at 2:30 to make sure i was awake and hugo picked me up at 3 (he stayed down the street)--the starting area was very dark, and I found Frank at the start
looking very flustered --he had made a wrong turn and gotton lost. Then, I left my flashlight in the grass
while taking a last minute bathroom stop!! Fortunately, a guy next to me lent me a flashlight (number 17-thank you) or I truly would have been in the dark..I ran the first 15 or so humid miles (it had stopped raining) with Frank and Yuki and Yuki --my foot was a discomfort with every step! I am not a morning person so it was had to get in the one on 3 hours sleep in the humidity...but the horse started to come by and that was fun -plus we had some nice scenery and a new muddy trail,which woke me up Finally mile 21, where we saw lots of our friends
and I did some stretching and ate while Frank changed his clothes. Then the fun began-we hit a major climb up a meadow and then had to run back down the other a few steep climbs. Afer mile 30 aid station where I llled around for 10 minutes too much, Frank and I set off to climb Suicide Six --I had forgotton how tough this was!!and we still had 3 more hours until the second half!!! We got to mile 47, camp ten bear, at 2:35 --25 minutes earlier than last year!! But by the time Frank talked with his wife and daughter and by the time I dealt with Hugo's cooler to put a sandwich in, it was 3 p.m. -- by now I had taken at least 4 advils, 4 succeed caps and 2 pepsid acs, tons of food and tons of drink --so the foot was feeling better and i felt OK...
the next section was called 'agony hill' and it kept going up and up through mud and rocks --this was a new section of the course! Finally we got to Tracer Brook, mile 57, and the start of more climbs! lol--3 miles of climbs.We caught up to Yuki and I told her what was ahead --but it was fun climbing as we all talked together.
Frank and I ran the downhills to Margaritaville (2 miles worth) and then pretty much ran/walked to the Grateful dead station at mile 65, and to camp 10 bear. From miles 62-70 is hands down my favorite part of the course, as
the terrain is runnable and it is exciting as it gets dark to come back and pick up our pacers --and then the best news -'only' 30 miles to go!! Frank ran ahead down the last hill to Camp ten bear and I walked to save my quads --I sat down with my bag and cleaned my feet (which were filled with debris), changed my shoes, went to bathroom and all that stuff, and off we went...Nick and Rob ere waiting for s and it was such a good feeling to know hat Frank would have Rob to stay with him and me Nick. But we hoped to finish together. I know how Frank get second winds, and so wasn't too worried when he complained to Rob that he was really tired...when we got to mile 77, Zeke got him some soup and some coffee, and i had some soup and off we all went into the dark meadow.
Miles 77-88 are tough -they call it the witching hour -but I really like the peacefulness of the night and don't have sleep issues..I do take a ton of caffiene! Gels, coke, coffee, and chocolate...the night was spectacular!! Nick an I stayed behind or went ahead Frank and Rob until we climbed (with another pacer whose runner had dropped) a big hill before Bill's at mile 88, where we got weighed(124 --omg) and met Trail Pixie!! and saw Joe L., who had had stomach problems and had to rest.
Finally, the last 12 miles which seemed like an eternity --and mile 90 is a huge, huge hill, then tough single track...Nick kept saying 'they TRY to make it hard -this is trail run'. It is hard to describe how happy I was to see Polly's aid station at mile 95 -ONLY 5 miles to go!! Frank got something to eat and we all jogged down the hill and along some nice road stretches...Frank took off!!He was running in pain but running fast!
I had hoped he would wait for me to cross the finish line but it didn't seem like it. I did my best to keep running and was overjoyed to see him and Rob walking. Nick and I caught up to them and we all stayed together through the finish line in 26:16!! We both said Never again!! But this was the first 100 we have done together...After some photos, I collapsed with painful was all I could do to shuffle over to get my bag. I saw Hugo in the medical tent, as he had dropped out at midnight, but was cool with that.
Nick drove me to his hotel where I had a hot shower and a nap --well deserved!! Never again --well, maybe!


Ryan said...

Congratulations on great run at VT100 - thanks for the sweet memories. Cool to see Nick was ur pacer; love the Running on the Sun movie.

Bob - said...

Congrats Emmy!!!!!!

Was great to see you guys out there...

Recover well Hun, you and Frank did awesome!!

trailgrrl said...

You looked great out there and fresh as a daisy post run! Congrats on your finish..

AnthonyP said...

Great job Emmy.

Trail Pixie said...

Emmy, you and Frank (and your pacers) were so lucid and alive and positive punchy at Bill's. If there were aid station Awards for I would give your group a prize for "Life of the Aid Station Party!" Got some good pix at my blog of you folks, too!

CTmarathoner said...

thanks, everyone --Ryan -hard to believe that tommorrow is the Run around the lake ultra-the one you won 2 years ago!!
Bob, you were great and had awesome support out there:)))!!!!

Scott said...

Congrats again! Incredible performance and all with a bum foot. Amazing. You always are!

susan said...

Horay for you and Frank, Emmy! looks and sounds like so much fun. I hope your foot feels better! See you soon.

trailgrrl said...

So great to see you at Escarpment..wowie that was some tough race! It was funny as 2 of the people I went there with finished 2nd and 8th...poor guys had to wait around for over 2 1/2 hours for my friend Kevin and I to finish : )Again love your race and trail pixie's are my fav to read!