Monday, January 31, 2011

Boston Buildup series/jan recap




So far, the story this winter has been the weather --snow, snow and more snow. This year's Boston Build up series started on January 9 with the 10K --on Friday, Jan. 7, the area got 6 inches of new snow. The NYRRC even moved the Central park Fred leBow 5 miler from sat the 8th to sun the 9th. I thought that Jim might have to postpone the 10K, but he went ahead and had it, with a record turnout of over 300 runners. I
started my Umstead ultra (training has been non-existent) build-up on Sat. Jan 8 with the 'recovery from the holidays' fat ass 50K, which was put on by the
MHRRC in Straatsburg, NY ....it took me and Frank C., along with other friends, alot of effort to navigate the snow-covered roads of the 3 mile loops course -
I finished in 5:40, which was perfect--wanted to go slowly and walked alot on the snowy areas. On the way back, a group of runners met for
a beer at the new Hyde park brewery, and since the sun came out, and I finished, it was a successful day.
On Sunday, wasn't sure how would feel, but wanted to run the 10K as a social workout. Last year, the wind chills were -3, and the custodian of the Norwalk
high school gym never showed up, leaving the runners stranded outside in brutal weather!! This year it never warmed above freezing, and a stiff wind blew,
but at least the school was open!! and it was a touch warmer. The Rowayton/Norwalk course was beautiful with all the snow, and the first mile
was exciting with so many runners slipping and sliding on the high school entrance/exit road --since the first 3 miles are downhill, I was able to maintain
a faster pace (7:40s) than the 8 minutes I had hoped for (the day after 31 slow miles). I don't remember my splits, but do remember that my quads started hurting on the last section with the climbs --I made it to the top of the hill without stopping, and felt pretty good in the last push to the finish--I ran even splits for a 7:42 pace. The nice thing about the 10K is that we know everyone --lots of Wolfpitters ran, including Anton. This is a tough course!!! I was glad i wasn't in shape to race it.

Fast forward to the 15K (planned for Jan 23) and the weekend of january 22 and 23--more snow fell on Friday, jan 21, and the forecast was for bitterly cold temps.
The NYRRC held the Manhattan 1/2 marathon as scheduled in 14 degree temps, but Jim wisely postponed the 15K with snow covered roads and 8 degree temps , with
windchill of zero...turns out that the sun came out that day but it was truly bitter cold. So, ANOTHER snowstorm (over a foot) pummeled the area
on Wed jan 26, and Ridgefield looked like a winter wonderland --but would the 15K be on as scheduled? It was touch and go, but Jim did decide to go ahead. He changed the course to and out and back along the road (eliminating the undulating dirt road but still included some snow covered roads)The day was much warmer, although it did seem cold at the start (25 degrees??) and almost every runner wore 2 or 3 layers. We started out with 2 loops around the parking lot- another exciting start!! and then out onto the rolling roads --i love this course, as like the hills, and loved the snow covered roads as it is more of a strength workout. I wanted to run this one faster than the 10K, and went out a bit fast --my breathing was horrible--could not breathe or catch my breath so was forced to slow down, and the
snow covered roads helped me relax...especially as woman after young woman flew by me:)) The last mile is tough --uphill to the finish with a
sharp climb --the course seemed to take longer and when I finished i found out that it was really 9.6 --which was good...a better workout. and everyone else had to run the same course.
Thanks to Rick F. for manning the waterstop--it was great to see him, even thou I couldn't answer his question 'how's everybody'?...and congrats to all the Wolfpitters for finishing this tough run. Afterwards, new Ridgefield resident Gail J. had a lovely brunch at her house, but parking was next to impossible with all
the snow around her roads!! Amazing....what will the 20K weather bring?

No comments: